Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pizza Quattro Gusti (part one)

I watched Julie & Julia on the weekend, for the first time since I saw it in the theatre. It made me realize I was slacking off. I mean, that woman had a full time job and spent all her free time in the kitchen, never repeating a recipe for a full year! LOL So I decided I should make an attempt to accomplish a few new recipes every week, instead of just remaking my favourites all the time.

I made a quick pot of rice last night to go with some leftover piri piri chicken, and thought I'd try one of Jamie's suggestions to flavour it.

205. Cilantro and Lime Rice (Jamie's Food Revolution, page 96)





Zest and juice a lime, and chop some cilantro leaves. Add everything to your cooked rice with some salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Quick and easy way to infuse some flavour into something bland.
~~~~~~~~

Last night I also made another batch of pizza dough, and this afternoon I sat down and watched the pizza episode of Jamie At Home, figuring I'd refresh my memory on how to make the calzone filling. But I changed my mind when Jamie talked about looking for inspiration in the garden. The only problem is that I don't have a large enough pizza stone, nor do I have the ingredients to make all four flavours. So today, I bring you the first half of my Pizza Quattro Gusti. 

You could also make this using Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust mix for your base!  I used it here and I really enjoyed it.

206. Pizza Quattro Gusti (Jamie At Home, page 176)




I decided to go with the toppings that were based on two of the vegetables that have overrun my garden this year - zucchini & rainbow chard. I managed to find one of the last beautiful zucchini flowers on the plants, and used the only ripe thai chile so far. As far as cheeses go, I have no taleggio or buffalo mozzarella, but I do have havarti and pizza mozzarella, so those had to do. I also subsituted some turkey bacon for the pancetta.




Before I started, I made a half batch of The Quickest Tomato Sauce with some fresh garden tomatoes, and used a cube of my thai basil pesto to flavour it. I rolled my dough out into a rectangular shape, and cut a slice off the one side to create the border in the middle. I blanched my chard, added a clove of chopped garlic, and dressed it with lemon juice & olive oil. Since I dislike underdone bacon, I microwaved a slice to make it crispy.





On the left side, I topped the pizza with tomato sauce, then spread the chard mixture over and cracked an egg on the top.  I was worried that the egg wouldn't cook through before the dough burned, but I think it just made it. I actually enjoyed the runny yolk over the tangy chard.   On the right side, I again spread tomato sauce, then placed thinly sliced ribbons of zucchini, the petals of the zucchini flower, chopped chili, and the crumbled bacon.   This was my favourite half by far.  I'd make it again. :)

This post has been linked to the Friday Foodie Fix at the W.H.O.L.E. Gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment