Thursday, July 7, 2011

Low Fat Fish & Chard Curry

I still have a glut of rainbow chard in the garden to use. Tonight I wanted to make a really low fat curry, and I thought that chard would be a good addition to one of my tried and true recipes. So I used Jamie's Favourite Curry Sauce and modified it to suit my needs. I had read about people substituting soy milk with coconut flavouring added for coconut milk (delicious, but high fat, even if it is a healthy fat). I decided to try it.

Lisa's Low Fat Fish & Chard Curry (6 servings)

1 lb fresh skinless ocean perch, cut into chunks
2 heads rainbow chard (about 3 cups roughly chopped leaves, 1/2 cup finely chopped stems)
2 shallots, diced
1 onion, diced
6 tomatoes
14 oz organic soy milk
1 tsp coconut flavouring
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 large knob of ginger, grated
2 red chilis, finely chopped
sea salt, to taste
handful of cilantro, chopped
handful of dried curry leaves, crushed
1 tsp tamarind paste

Heat olive oil in large, deep pan. Add mustard seeds until they start to pop, then add fenugreek seeds, ginger, red chilis & curry leaves. After a few minutes, add shallots, onion, and chopped stems of chard (reserve the leaves for later). Let this soften for 5 minutes or so, add turmeric and chili powder, then whiz tomatoes in a food processor and add to the pan with the soy milk and coconut flavouring. Bring to the boil. Season with salt to taste. Add the tamarind paste and the fish and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the leaves of chard until wilted. Remove from heat, add the cilantro, and serve over hot rice.

Each serving has 216 calories, 8 g fat, 2.6 fibre, 23 g protein.

I thought this smelled amazing while cooking, and the coconut flavour really shone through. I like the texture of ocean perch much better than that of sole or cod. I put a small dent in my rainbow chard but I still have tons left to use. And now the beets are ready to pick as well. No lack of greens this year!

This post has been linked to Friday Foodie Fix at the W.H.O.L.E. Gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment